Jaigad Fort and Lighthouse in Ratnagiri
The view of Arabian Sea from Jaigad Fort is spectacular and the fort is quite significant for there being a historical reference of it as the chief ports in Western India. The 17th century fort is located at the angle of the peninsula and it is almost over 500 years old although it is much smaller in size than the Sindhudurg and Ratnadurg forts in Ratnagiri. It is believed that the construction was initiated in 14th century and completed by Sultan of Bijapur and was named after Jayba Mahar‘s sacrificing his life for building the fort. The fort was fortified by Kanholi Angre and exchanged hands several time from Konkan pirates to Sangameshwar chiefs to the Portuguese Maratha kings and finally the British.
Shivaji also controlled the fort for some time before handing it over to the Peshwas who finally lost the fort to the British in the year 1818. The fortress is well guarded by ramparts and walls from its upper wing to its lower wing as one descends the hill. Barely located at a short distance of 20 kilometers from Ganapatipule and is off Major State Highway 4.
The view from Jaigad Fort and Lighthouse are both marvelous with the lush greenery and shoreline of Arabian Sea.
Timings to visit the Fort : 9:00AM-4:30PM on all days throughout the week.
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0